Teaching students details about the constitution and the things that have occurred in the past are harder to do now as compared to before. There are a lot of things that students can do right now. If they need information, they can just search through social media sites. Gone are the days when students need to check old newspaper clippings, old magazines and books from the library to know exactly what to do.
Students are now used to getting things instantly. Even if they want to learn facts about Philadelphia 3.0, they would rather search for it online rather than find the correct data and information. It is a good thing that there are a lot of reputable websites that are available at present time. They hold enough facts and details that can answer student’s questions.
If you would like to teach your students more about history, then you can allow them to watch some films. Types of films to watch are the following:
- Fictional films that are based on facts – A grand example of this is the Titanic. It is true that there is a huge ship that sank in the early 1900s and a lot of people have died. Titanic focused more on the love story of fictional characters Jack and Rose but people are able to gain information about what occurred on that fateful day many years ago.
- Documentaries – There are still some documentaries about the different events that have occurred in the past. You may search for documentaries that are not too long as this can bore students.
Students will be able to learn more because of the following reasons:
- A lot of students do not find watching movies boring. In fact, they find this very fulfilling. Most of the students that will be watching films will come out of the classroom knowing the right facts.
- Students usually have their eyes glued on the screen if they find the concept interesting. They will be able to follow the story and know historical facts at the same time.
- There are some students who find it hard to learn history because they lack imagination. This may be due to lack of reading. Some students are just not that good at imagining what could have happened before. Imagination is considered important but not all students have them so you can adjust to their needs by showing them films.
Can you still think of other reasons why showing films in class can be essential in helping students learn? You may find more details about that from here. Make sure to choose the right films as this can make a big difference with how students will perceive history.
Just remember that when it comes to the movies that you will let students watch, you need to clarify if there are some inaccuracies that were mentioned. You also have to let students realize the mistakes that people have made in the film. They will see the possibility of how some decisions can lead to the downfall or the demise of other people.